Friday, February 4, 2011

CT scan results are in....

I have been in a holding position since Tuesday when I heard the news of a possible nodule in my lung.  See my previous post.  I was anxious, then calm, then anxious, then calm.  Well, yesterday I had the CT scan to determine what this 'nodule' was exactly.  I picked up the hubby and we drove to our nearest CT scan stand, which happens to be the mightly Duke University Medical Center.  The place I can navigate with a blindfold on and hands tied behind my back.  I was sent to the place of so many other CT scans.  Now, for those you have never had a CT (CAT) Scan it's interesting.  Basically, you lie on a table within a circle and that huge circle 'scans' a certain area of your body.  Think of the way a copier scans a piece of paper; it's kind of like that.  It's a pretty quick procedure, about 5 minutes.  As I lie on the table thinking of course, I notice the tiles on the ceilings.  Why do all medical facilities have the same ceiling tiles?  Waiting in examination rooms for a good portion of my life has brought me to notice the ceiling tiles, floor tiles, lighting, mirrors, you get the picture.  Yesterday I did my usual, take notice of the ceiling tiles and I counted them.  For some reason this relaxs me.  Before I knew it the scan was over.  Back to putting on my clothes and back to waiting.  I hate waiting.  My mother and my husband would say I am the most impatient person.  I am.  I was hoping for the results later that afternoon but I realized it was late afternoon already and most likely I wouldn't hear anything.  So, I did the best I could not to think about it.  I slept very well and got up for work this morning almost forgetting that I had something looming.  Of  course, at about 9:30am I was anxious.  I was ready to hear.  "Surely, they know something now", I thought.  I got impatient and emailed my doc.  He and I work together with a non-profit he founded (you may have heard of it, the Lung Transplant Foundation!) and I on certain occasions I have emailed him directly to find an answer to a medical question.  Normally, though, I don't bypass my coordinator because I don't like keeping her out of the loop.  Besides, I knew he was not in clinic today and he responds very fast.  He's an awesome doc in all the ways that count, but that's another blog post!  The first sentence of his email already had me at ease.  "Don't worry it looked normal."  The 'nodule' that I had been so frantic about was nothing more than a shadow of bone or blood vessels and that my "lungs looked great on CT".  Whew!  So I fretted over something that never was.  I felt relief but also very silly.  I have so many friends that are going through serious issues right now and they keep such grace and composure.  Why do I freak out so easily and what am I going to do the next time this is not a drill?  I wish I was the kind of girl that can just 'take each day as it comes' but I'm not and I've come to terms with that.  I will never be her.  I worry, probably a little too much, but that is who I have always been.  I worry about the future because it's uncertain.  Certainty is like my sneaky little best friend.  He's not always there when I need him.  I guess he's not there for anyone, really.  I will try to take a note from my happy go lucky, live each day like it's your last, take it step by step handbook and just be thankful for today and happy for the good results of a scary thought.  Oh, and thankful for the people that get me through the, "today could be my last day, where do I go from here?, what if the news is terrible!" thought. 

7 comments:

  1. Thank Goodness!!! You just put a smile on my face. I miss and love you, even though we represent 27707..I still miss you! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! So happy it was nothing! I would have worried and been impatient just like you. It's scary...the disease is scary... We just do the best we can each day. Great news!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LE, yes we are so close yet I miss you, too! Love you very much, missy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacey, you and I sound so much alike; it's unreal. Yes, this disease is scary--terrifying. Your right when you say all we can do is our best each day. Some days are easier than others. We Cysters will keep each other strong!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's okay to worry. You had a genuine reason for some concern this time. It's when you worry everyday that worrying begins to eat at your existence (spoken by someone who knows). When I get that way, I stop myself, ask for God to step in and take the issue (there are so many) from me because I am out of control, and then I try to think of ocean tides for a few minutes. It usually works everytime. Try it. Alcohol is good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Jenrad7 on this one. I have been practicing the art of "giving it up to God" to handle and most of the time it works! I also am known to drop in handwritten prayer requests at the dropbox in the gym (YMCA)on my way out. I'm sure the person reading the boxfull (all mine, I'm sure) thinks I'm a bit OCD but it really does help take the load off of my shoulders...at least that particular day.

    I also think you're on to something with the ceiling tile thing. Maybe that's your ticket to millions - reinventing the hospital by turning it upside down. Literally.

    So glad you're well!!!
    k.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jen and PP, you guys are right on. My therapist and I talked about what you both said this afternoon and she thinks you guys are on to something. She suggested I give your advice a real chance. So, that's what I plan to do. Really, really plan to do. Thanks for the advice and the help to relieve my shoulders. XO!

    ReplyDelete