Monday, February 7, 2011

Has anyone tried meditation? Really?

After the worry last week  and reading Eat, Pray, Love and seeing my lovely therapist today I have decided to give it a try.  A real try.  I have been interested in meditation for some time.  Casey and I even participated in a Duke study about meditation.  The study, I found, was boring.  I think mainly because we had to write very descriptive logs about our experience.  I know this was a study and they had to gather data but it just really ruined the whole process for me.  The actual practice was calming and I always felt a bit lighter afterwards.  However, I could never meditate for too long.  Thoughts start to creep up in my head like gnats creep up in your face.  I tried my best to push them out but, usually, that was very hard.  So, the process ended.  After the study I didn't try again.  However, now something is pushing me toward trying again.  Maybe it's a lot of things:  my worry that seems to cripple me at times, the book I am reading, my therapist's admission that meditation and 'giving up the thought' is a practice she uses to stay balanced, maybe it's my age, or maybe it's just a fad-ish thing I want to try.  I think it's a combo of all of those things to be very honest.  I did practice some today and found I could only stay focused for about 5 minutes, but hey, that's was 5 minutes of complete mind silence without any distractions.  After a few minutes it seemed like the silence enveloped me and I could hear nothing around me except my breathing.  Oh, and the breathing slowed down tremendously.  The sound and rhythm of my breath helped keep me in a meditative state.  Just the in and out, in and out.  I felt calm afterwards.  It seemed like it had worked some.  I was happy to feel the lightness.  So my question to my on so many followers is:  What's your thought on meditation?  Hmmm?

6 comments:

  1. Sounds good to me. I've never tried it (kinda hard to manage with 3 kids swirling around like little Tasmanian Devils...) but I think I'd like to.

    I have a hunch that it's like working out - you have to build it up bit by bit. I hope you'll stick with it - at least for the month - just so I can watch someone else relax.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what everyone says. It takes time to create silence in your head (apparently our minds don't like that!) :-). I am going to keep it up. It's the perfect time in my life to try. I have dabbled a little in the past but have never stuck with it. I will send positive energy and love to you and your kiddos when I am sending my prayers. Practicing that, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG so my shrink told me I need to work on it and he is so great b/c he told me to not expect an immediate relief and to try and get past basically my a.d.d thoughts:) I am so glad to hear it does indeed work. I always get hyper and end up having dance parties in the middle of it. I will have to work on it. Want to do lunch asap? My goiders have gone down and my energy is coming back. Let me know...lv y!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ms. Evans!

    Yes, my therapist says it takes time and lots of practice. I have been working on it and it has been so calming. Of course, it's usually followed by a JJ dance party. :) I would LOVE to have lunch. How about Friday? I will email you. I am so glad you're feeling better. I have been thinking about you. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh meditation. In the hospital, after tx, they told me to meditate in order to relax myself enough to sleep (I seriously did not sleep at all). So I watched the Duke Meditation Channel for about 5 nights straight. It was terrrrrrible. I memorized those segments! Aside from that bad experience, I love guided meditation, which I know is different. Full on meditation - I have yet to give a real try. Good luck and tell me how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. K, I remember that meditation channel. Oy vey! Yes, I think guided meditation is awesome. I am working really hard on guiding myself and I have to say I am learning how to 'tune out'--at least for a short amount of time. I plan to keep it up so I can hang with all the serious folks at the Ashram. :)

    ReplyDelete