Monday, January 31, 2011

Bake Pray Love?

Okay, so I'm trying to follow a slower paced life--kinda a 'stop and smell the roses'-type thing.  Oh, by the way I am finally reading Eat Pray Love on the recommendation of about every female friend I have.  I am devouring this book and it seems to go along with what I am trying to find in my life.  Oh, and Elizabeth Gilbert is 34 while experiencing these self-discoveries.  That is the age I will be turning in less than 3 weeks.  I am finding some similiarities in our thoughts but hers, of course, is on a much grander scale.  In this quest to find a slower pace I have decided to give up TV at night for a little while.  The hubs and I have decided to cancel cable and I am happy with that decision.  I have started writing--on here and privately.  I've also been thinking of baking.  Now, this may not sound very profound but to me it's like taking up the trapeze.  I have been an avid non-baker for years.  I dreaded it because I mismeasured, was impatient, and just hated the mess (go figure).  Oh, and everything I made turned out horribly.  I cursed the thought of making anything for the CF Bake Sales every year at Duke.  What would I contribute?  Trail mix.  Every year.  Well, things are changing are so are my thoughts on baking.  I was invited to a cookie swap over the holidays and decided this was my time to shine.  I studied recipes and found a simple shortbread cookie recipe.  I decided to dunk the cookies in bittersweet chocolate and sprinkle a dusting of pink salt on them.  I took my time and I followed every step thoroughly.  I was proud when I put them out for consumption and to my surprise they were a hit!  Now, sure I had tasted them prior to the swap and I thought they were good but I thought for sure I was just being biased.  Even better my husband liked them.  He is an honest person and I knew if he said he liked them then he really did.  Now, I am going to dive into the baking world--I think this girl is ready.  I haven't tried anything again since the swap, but I have a recipe ready to go for this weekend.  I am ready to become a baker.  Now I need a cool 50s style apron and a retro colored KitchenAid mixer and I will be official. I can't make this big leap without a little bit of shopping.  Ha!  Here is the cookie recipe I want to tackle:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/lemon-ricotta-cookies-with-lemon-glaze-recipe/index.html

5 comments:

  1. I definitely want to try those cookies! I went through a baking phase and bought the KitchenAid mixer...but I've only used it twice. It's hard to care for and I prefer my hand mixer. At least it looks pretty ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaah Giada. Yes, I know her. I know her well. Let me clarify...I know her well enough to know that I'll never be her. But a girl can dream, can't she?

    Though I can't bake, barbeque or even boil water to save my life, I'm a good taster if you need one ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacey, I think the main reason I want a KitchenAid is because they look pretty. :) At any rate I need at least a new hand mixer. A friend (yes a friend, not I) recently used mine and discovered it was made in 1958! The thing started smoking and my kitchen smelled like gun metal! It was hilarious and mortifying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes PicklePits, I know Giada well, too. I am not crazy enough to think Dana+dough=Giada. :) I figure being the Southern gal that I am I better give baking at least a shot. I look most forward to the tasting myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's about time! Let me know how you like the book. Love my little baking cousin

    ReplyDelete